Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Beginnings at L'Arche

I have officially started my year at L’Arche. My first day was overwhelmingly wonderful. I can learn a lot from this community about what it means to be welcoming, open, and loving to everyone who enters a community. My first day was filled with presents, hugs, kisses, and even a back rub. I got to know many of the Core Members very well and am excited to continue to work with them throughout the year. I think it’s going to be fun…draining perhaps … but overall good for the soul. It almost feels as if it isn’t even work. I just hang out with these totally awesome human beings all day long doing stuff I love to do. It really doesn’t get any better than that.

Life in the house is slowly moving along. During orientation it felt as if we had to evolve into this perfect intentional community right away, but I’m starting to realize that it takes time… everything takes time, and it’s ok to take things slow then add new simplistic habits as we go. Since the house is still figuring out budgeting, chore charts, and general house dynamics, it’s ok that we’re not right this second working of grey water usage or vermiculture or a big social justice issue. It’s all one step at a time.

As far as getting use to the community… it’s slow moving. I explored the city on bus yesterday hoping to figure things out. Some things are figured out (like where to get bus passes, use my bank, get YMCA membership…), however, I also spent hours trying to figure out the bus system (which I still havn’t figured out) and then locked myself out of the house. That was one exciting day that made me want to curl up in a ball and go home. The strange thing about being in a big city with no connections or car is that much time goes to waiting on the bus, and if you miss a bus or lock yourself out, there is no one to call to help you out! Mommy, daddy, and friends are not readily there to quickly swoop in to your rescue. That sucks.

I am also in the midst of a church hunt. There is a church right beside our house – Bethlehem Lutheran – that I’ve been to a couple times. It is a church with an older population but a big heart and want to grow their community. Ideally, I’d like to have a church with younger people I can meet and grow friendships with so I have some connections outside of the house. However, I enjoy this church, feel welcome to join in the choir and such, and love how convenient it is. I would never miss a Sunday if I’m next door! I could go searching for a different church, a younger church, but I’ve noticed that sometimes people can get very picky with churches and search and search for a church that’s just right. I sometimes wonder that if we would just go to church and remain committed to a body, then that church would become exactly what we need – a community we’re a part of. I guess I haven’t decided for sure, but I think Bethlehem Lutheran will be the church I decide to commit to.

No comments:

Post a Comment